美国国父富兰克林的十三种美德
1、决心:该做的一定要做,做就要做好。
Resolution: Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
2、勤奋:珍惜光阴,做有益之事,避无谓之举。
Industry: Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
3、秩序:放东西的地方,做事情的时间要心中有数。
Order: Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
4、冷静:不因小事,寻常之事,不可避免之事而慌乱。
Tranquility: Be not distuibed at trifles,or at accidents common or unavoidable.
5、节俭:对人或对己有益才可用钱,决不浪费。
Frugality: Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e.,waste nothing.
6、节欲:少行房事,除非考虑到身体健康或者延续子嗣;不要房事过度,伤害身体或者损害自己或他人的安宁与名誉。
Chastity: Rarely use venery but for health or offspring,never to dulness,weakness,or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
7、缄默:避免空谈,言必对己或对人有益。
Silence: Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
8、正义:不做不利于人的事,不逃避自己的义务。
Justice: Wrong none by doing injuries,or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
9、节制:食不过饱,酒不过量。
Temperance: Eat not too dullness; drink not too elevation.
10、谦逊:效法耶酥和苏格拉底。
Humility: Imitate Jesus and Socrates
11、真诚:不欺骗,有良知,为人厚道,说话实在。
Sincerity: Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly,and,if you speak,speak accordingly
12、整洁:保持身体、衣服和住所的整洁。
Cleanliness: Tolerate no uncleanliness in body,cloaths,or habitation
13、中庸:避免走极端,容忍别人给你的伤害,认为是你应该承受之事。
Moderation: Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.